The plant tvak also known as cinnamon. It is a native of Sri Lanka and grows in
South India up to 1500 meters elevation. The plant flowers in January and
fruits during May to August. The botanical name of tvak is Cinnamomum zeylanicum
In sanskrit the word “tvak” literally means the skin. As the
bark skin of this plant is used for various
immunity building and medicinal purposes, it is aptly named as tvak. As
a spice, it has been used in India since centuries. Tvak is pungent, bitter and
sweet in taste. Its pungency is useful in the post digestive effect. It alleviates
kapha and vata doshas, but aggravates the pitta dosha. It possesses light, dry and
Here are some other important uses of tvak(cinnamon ) when consumed in right quantity
and correct combination of herbs.
- Cinnamon helps relieving vomiting, due to its mild astringency.
- Improves Digestive system as its fire stimulant. It possess anti-dyspeptic activity,
it is said to reduce heaviness in stomach and abdominal pain.
- It also works beneficial for the people suffering from piles.
- The spice is known to have the ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.
It reduces the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
- People suffering from arthritis or some who are prone to it are said to get benefitted
most by this wonder spice. It also relieves the body pain to a certain extent.
- Tvak is anti-colic, aromatic, analgesic and anti-emetic in properties. It is said
to strengthen heart muscles and diseases of urinary bladder
- As it is anti microbial, it can help build immunity against day to day infections
- It liquifies Kapha and absorbs remaining kapha. Cinnamic acid contained in it has
an antitubercular activity.
- A decoction made of tvak and other herbs is said to work as an immunity
booster against cold, cough, headache and clears respiratory tract.
- Works as a blood purifier due to its bitter taste and nourishes it due to its sweet
Consume immunity boosting foods & try our home remedies to improve immunity. Visit our immunity blog to know all about how to increase immunity.